Date: Friday, May 25, 2018
Port Hawkesbury, NS:—The Strait Regional Centre for Education honoured nineteen (19) members of staff during the Strait to Excellence Award Ceremony held this afternoon at the Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre.
The Strait to Excellence Award recognizes employees for their dedication and contributions to students and schools in the Strait Region, and for supporting student learning and achievement in their school communities as members of the public education system in Nova Scotia.
“As an Award recipient, you have been singled out as someone special, someone who brings passion, enthusiasm and fresh ideas to your roles, and who generously shares your knowledge with others. Your commitment, excellent work ethic and leadership have played an important role in our students’ achievement and success. You have fulfilled, exceeded and excelled in your respective positions. We are very fortunate to have you as part of our team here in the Strait Region,” said Ford Rice, Regional Executive Director of Education, during the ceremony.
Employees, groups of employees, parents/guardians, school advisory council members and students were able to submit a nomination to a Selection Committee outlining why the nominee should be considered for a Strait to Excellence Award and how the nominee has demonstrated an outstanding commitment and contribution in their respective role in one or more of the following areas: student achievement, staff success, school performance, integration of technology, health and/or safety of students and/or co-workers, cultural proficiency, commitment to students, and excellence in the workplace.
The Strait to Excellence Award Recipients for 2018 are:
- Patsy Borden, Program Leader, African Canadian Heritage and Friendship Centre, Chedabucto Education Centre/Guysborough Academy
- Calvin Burke, Bus Driver with Additional Duties, East Richmond
- Terry Chisholm, Vice Principal, St. Mary’s Education Centre/Academy
- Aubrey Cranton, Building Operator, Cape Breton Highlands Education Centre/Academy
- Sadie Fee, School Secretary, Whycocomagh Education Centre
- Justin Fougere, Teacher, Richmond Education Centre/Academy
- Deanna Gillis, Coordinator of Communications
- Sarita Landry, Teacher, Antigonish Education Centre
- Sharon MacCuspic, Director of Programs and Student Services
- William MacIsaac, Bus Driver with Additional Duties, Bus Garage, Antigonish
- Antonia MacLean, Custodian, Dr. J.H. Gillis Regional High School
- Freda MacMillan, School Secretary, Tamarac Education Centre
- Deanna Martell, Teacher, Richmond Education Centre/Academy
- Carmen Novak, Building Operator, Antigonish Education Centre
- Bobby Pelley, Bus Driver/Lunch Time Supervisor, Chedabucto Education Centre/Guysborough Academy
- Crystal Richards, Vice Principal, Fanning Education Centre/Canso Academy
- James Shaw, Building Operator, Whycocomagh Education Centre
- Lauri Shaw, Teacher, Dr. John Hugh Gillis Regional High School
- Ann Marie VanBerkel, School Secretary, Antigonish Education Centre
- 30 -
For more information, please contact:
Deanna Gillis, Coordinator of Communications, 902-625-7093; firstname.lastname@example.org;
Ford Rice, Regional Executive Director of Education, 902-625-7065