Date: Friday, May 27, 2016
Port Hastings, NS: — The Strait Regional School Board honoured twenty (20) members of staff during its inaugural Strait to Excellence Award Ceremony held this afternoon at the Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre.
“Your commitment, excellent work ethic and leadership have played an important role in our students’ achievement and success. You have fulfilled, exceeded and excelled in your respective positions. As a School Board, we are so very fortunate to have you as part of our team. Thank you for all you have done, and will continue to do, for our students, schools and for public education in the Strait Region,” said Board Chair Francine Boudreau during the ceremony.
“As an Award recipient, you have been singled out as someone special, someone who brings passion, enthusiasm and fresh ideas to your roles, and who generously shares your knowledge with others. You are a credit and honour to the Strait Region,” added Superintendent of Schools Ford Rice.
The Strait to Excellence Award recognizes employees for their outstanding contributions and commitment in supporting the mission, vision and belief statements of the School Board, and who demonstrate excellence in the areas including, but not limited to, student achievement, staff success, school performance, integration of technology, health and/or safety of students and/or co-workers, cultural proficiency, commitment to students, and excellence in the workplace. Employees, groups of employees, parents/guardians, school advisory council members and students were able to submit a nomination to a Selection Committee outlining how the nominee has demonstrated an outstanding commitment and contribution in their respective roles and why the nominee should be considered for a Strait to Excellence Award.
The Strait to Excellence Award Recipients for 2016 are:
- Andrew Clarey, Teacher, Cape Breton Highlands Education Centre/Academy
- Archie MacDonald, Mechanic, Bus Garage, Mulgrave
- Chrissi Lynch, Coordinator of Student Services, Department of Programs and Student Services
- Chuck Burke, Building Operator, Richmond Education Centre/Academy
- Fred Sullivan, Mathematics Mentor, Department of Programs and Student Services
- Janet Borden, Library Technician, Fanning Education Centre/Canso Academy
- Janet Carter, Secretary, East Richmond Education Centre
- Jerome Stewart, Teacher, St. Andrew Junior School
- Judy MacDonald, Library Technician, Richmond Education Centre/Academy
- Kim Grant, Guidance Counselor, Antigonish Education Centre
- Lou Bona, Manager of Facilities Maintenance, Department of Operations
- Lucy Fraser, Administrative Assistant, Department of Human Resources
- Peter Goosens, Principal, Cape Breton Highlands Education Centre/Academy
- Rose Marie MacDonald, Janitor, St. Andrew Junior School
- Shane Phillips, Head Mechanic, Bus Garage, Mabou
- Shaun MacDonald, Principal, SAERC
- Shirley Hart, Manager of Purchasing, Department of Finance
- Tammy Landry, Teacher, Antigonish Education Centre
- Tara Gaskell, Manager of Fleet Operations, Department of Operations
- Yvonne Voerman, Teacher Assistant, Antigonish Education Centre
- 30 -
For more information, Please Contact: 1-800-650-4448
Deanna Gillis, Coordinator of Communications, 902-625-7093; email@example.com